Friday, September 16, 2016

Not Today, Nigerian Scam Artistes


So today as I was doggedly looking for content for my ignored blog, I came across an article about some guy who found an abandoned infant rodent on the street and took it home to save it. He had no idea what it was until it got a little bigger and he put a pic on reddit and they all told him it was a flying squirrel. Anyway, this was one of those asshole clickbait articles where every paragraph was one page and you had to click 'NEXT' to read on. So after like 6 pages, because I really had to get to the end of this, I got the above image. I know its not super clear, but its a spyware message with a Microsoft banner and a warning message that all my shit has been hacked, a number to call, and even an audio message that its an emergency and you need to call. So I sent the pic to my laptop guy. Yeah, I have a laptop guy. And he was like "yeah, its a browser redirect virus and if you call that number there will be Nigerians on the other end waiting to remote in to your computer and steal your files and then hold them hostage til you pay to get them back." Now, I knew this was a fake message, you know its a fake message...BUT he told me he's had quite a few customers that have called him because they fell for this. Obviously if you fall for this you kind of thing you deserve to have your shit taken. But can you imagine what its like in that Nigerian hut when that fucking phone actually rings? I'm not a huge fisherman, but I've fished a good amount of times. And no matter how many times I've thrown that line in the water...everytime I feel a tug on the line I'm like "Ha! I can't believe this fuckin worked!" The sad truth is that there is nothing like putting a devious plan into place and having it come to fruition. It's fucked up. So when that phone rings in Nigeria those guys go fucking cuckoo, I guarantee. A zillion high fives. Probably like Boiler Room and then the head guy does the "just a little bit softer now...just a little bit softer now..." before he answers the phone. Microsoft, can I help you?

No comments:

Post a Comment